Future Measures in Response to the State of Emergency
Jan 8, 2021
COVID-19 Countermeasures Headquarters
In response to the rising cases of COVID-19 in the Greater Tokyo Area, the Government of Japan has declared a state of emergency for Tokyo, Saitama, Chiba and Kanagawa in accordance to the ‘Pandemic Influenza Preparedness and Response’.
While the Oita Prefecture had projected confirming approximately 10 new cases daily around the New Year period, actual daily averages have hit around 20 in the past few days, accumulating to 100 hospitalisation cases for the first time ever at the time of this announcement. Hospital occupancy rate lies at 28%, rising above the 20% criteria for the Stage 3 phase. These observations indicate that we are currently in a position of grave concern.
Many cases of infection have been officially traced back to individuals travelling from outside of Oita, as well as group dining between family members and acquaintances inside of restaurants or homes.
In light of the state of emergency and recent events, the Oita Prefecture implores that residents adhere to the following measures.
- Refrain from travelling across prefectures for non-urgent, non-essential matters.
Reconsider travelling to regions with rising cases, even if your destination does not fall under the state of emergency. Pay close attention to trends occurring across different regions and act according to circumstances.
If you experience a fever or cold-like symptoms on returning from regions with rising cases / regions that fall under the state of emergency, contact your family doctor or a consultations centre immediately. (TEL 097-506-2755)
- Continue to exercise extra caution during group dining sessions.
The suggestion above is also applicable to dining sessions with family members who have returned from regions with rising cases / regions that fall under the state of emergency.
When dining out, the prefecture recommends looking for the POP display ‘Reassurance is Appetising’ (‘Anshin wa oishii’ ‘安心はおいしい’） and choosing establishments that follow Guidelines for Preventing the Spread of COVID-19.
Always implement infection prevention measures such as wearing a mask during conversations, refraining from talking loudly, sitting diagonally opposite to each other, avoiding crowded, close-contact settings, dining in smaller groups, as well as reducing contact hours.
- The Oita Prefecture strongly suggests that residents adhere to the abovementioned guidelines until the state of emergency is lifted. In addition, we would like to remind residents to partake in the following actions:
- Wash hands diligently, practice good cough etiquette and wear a mask correctly. Exercise social distancing, avoid the 3Cs and conduct basic infection control measures.
- Ventilate indoor spaces frequently and maintain appropriate heating and humidity levels.
(Rooms should ideally be heated to temperatures of 18°C or above, with humidity levels of 40% or higher)