'Where I am now, it's because of my dad': Phenoms follow in footsteps of their big league dads

Posts tree

• なし 'Where I am now, it's because of my dad': Phenoms follow in footsteps of their big league dads (Killebrew, 2019/6/18 16:16) «

List posts in the topic

Killebrew

なし 'Where I am now, it's because of my dad': Phenoms follow in footsteps of their big league dads

msg# 1
depth:
Previous post - Next post | Parent - No child | Posted on 2019/6/18 16:16
Killebrew  新米   Posts: 3
There's a wave of talent on the rise into the major leagues, one made up of players who have something in common: Their dads all got there first. And with that in mind on Father's Day, we spoke to some of them about the impact of having a big league dad and how it helped them get to where they are today.

Some of the names should already be familiar, from this year's box scores as well as prospect rankings:

The Toronto Blue Jays take pride of place with their trio of "Juniors": Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and Cavan Biggio, sons of Hall of Famers Vladimir Guerrero and Craig Biggio who made their big league debuts this spring, as well as Bo Bichette, the son of slugger Dante Bichette who is still on his way up from the minor leagues. The San Diego Padres surprised many by adding MLB's No. 1 prospect on Keith Law's top prospect list, Fernando Tatis Jr., to their Opening Day roster; his dad had an 11-year career split between five different teams. And not far from the majors, the Pittsburgh Pirates have Ke'Bryan Hayes, son of longtime big league third baseman Charlie Hayes, and the Detroit Tigers have Daz Cameron, son of Mike Cameron, a 17-year major leaguer and longtime center fielder.

We spoke with all six to get their thoughts about the benefits and challenges of following in the footsteps of their fathers.

How has having a former MLB player for a dad helped you be the player you are today?
Cameron: It's definitely an advantage, because you know how the atmosphere of the clubhouse works. You know how to be a big leaguer every day. You know how to go about the day, the routine, because growing up you see it. You see these guys going through it and they're getting their work in. They're doing different things, whether it be looking at swings. Just being themselves around the clubhouse. You know the vibe that goes around.

EDITOR'S PICKS

For love and the game: How his brave son, baseball family inspire Charlie Montoyo

How Joey Cora pulled Alex along after their father died
Guerrero: It was an advantage for me because it taught me early on how to be a professional and how to behave in a major league clubhouse. I learned by watching, by being around it. I already knew what to do. It also taught me about how much hard work you have to put in the offseason. You have to work very hard to prepare for when the regular season comes.

Hayes: It definitely benefited me. Just how much knowledge my dad was able to give to me from the time I started playing [on] my first travel ball team, just how much ahead I was because of stuff he taught me when I first started playing.

Tatis: I have always said that I am here today because of my father. Look where I am now, at such an early age, and it's because of my dad. I had the advantage of being on the field since I was young, since I was a little kid. I grew up around baseball and got to see what it's all about, how things worked. It has always been an advantage for me to grow up in the game of baseball, and it led me to where I am today.
More Jersey
James Shields Jersey
Yoan Moncada Jersey
Leury Garcia Jersey
Votes:0 Average:0.00

Advanced search